A power surge is an unpredicted spike that hits your electrical system. When the surge is large and sudden enough, it can actually overload your entire system, causing damage to equipment, and even fire and safety hazards. Some of these most common surges are caused by:
- Downed power lines
- Fluctuations in power usage from nearby businesses
- Power cycling of large devices in the home
- Heightened periods of multiple appliance usage
- Older homes or improper wiring
- Lightning strikes
Since every home’s electrical setup is designed to handle a specific capacity, there are many different situations and degrees to which a surge can cause damage. When large surges occur, the risk of danger also increases. This could result in the deterioration or damage of: Kitchen and small appliances, HVAC, laundry, and heavy appliances, Computers containing sensitive data, and Home entertainment systems.
With a CTS Electric safety assessment and whole house surge protection, you can protect your valuables in the event of a spike.
What does a Whole House Surge Device protect?
The whole house device is the first line of defense against a power surge. It will help protect household appliances. The device usually comes with a 3-5 year warranty on up to $10,000 – $50,000 of connected equipment. (Depending on which surge device is compatible with your load center) The second stage of protections is a plug-in surge suppressor strips to protect smaller appliances and sensitive electronic equipment. By having both of these devices you have the best protection available. There are all kinds of surge protectors on the market be sure you’re buying one with a lifetime warranty.
Did you know?
- Many homeowner’s insurance policies DO NOT cover lightning strikes!
- Many insurance companies give a discount for homes that have surge protectors.
- The average home gets hit with over 20 energy spikes per day.
- A lightning strike up to one mile away can do damage to your sensitive equipment.
- Surges also travel through your phone lines and cable/satellite lines.
- Damaging power spikes also occur WITHIN your home’s wiring as well.
- You get up to 30% more life out of your appliances and equipment if you use surge protectors.